Friday, May 8, 2009

ISP and End of the Semester

I realize that I haven't been posting as much as usual, since I've been really busy with ISP. However, IT'S FINISHED!! So here's what I've been up to:

I'll spare you a lot of details on ISP. I interviewed a bunch of twins, found out that we can have supernatural powers, and that we're basically awesome. Ask me when I get back and I'll tell you more.

Once I had finished my draft, my friend Kelly (who had been studying witchcraft in a small village) came to town for a few days. We went to the nearby city of Bafoussam to go a a traditional market, in the process squeezing 8 people and a baby into a small car for the hour-long drive. Gotta love the local transportation system. Another day we visited a waterfall, and a third day we made peanut butter. We roasted, skinned, and crushed a giant bag of peanuts, then mixed in some delicious market honey and peanut oil. It was delicious.

It was great getting back to Yauonde to see everyone, although I had some ISP troubles when I got back to the capital. First, my advisor was late giving me back my corrected draft (I had written my 40 page paper in French, so I needed him to correct my grammar). When I finally got it back, I had a mini crisis when I thought that he had rewritten my paper. Turns out that he only rewrote the first few sections, and I was able to fix everything while keeping the paper in my own words. I printed up my copies, gave my presentation, and now according to a friend here I'm a college senior.

Tonight is a party to thank all the host families. After that I have a day to pack before heading to Limbe, a beach where we'll spend the rest of the program. My friends and I who are travelling afterwards are staying in Limbe for a few days after everyone else leaves. Here's our tentative itinerary for the next 3 weeks:

-Climb Mount Cameroon (1.5 days up, 1.5 days down)
-Return to Yaounde to go to an apparently amazing club/bar/place that has drum circles every other Saturday
-Take the 12 hour train ride up to Ngaoundere, stop for smoothies and to say hello to our knife-making friend in the market
-Take the (8 hour?) bus to Maroua, capital of the Extreme North
-Spend a few days in Waza National Park. Hopefully we'll see elephants!
-Spend a few days hiking around Rhumsiki, which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful spots in the world
-Travel back to Yaounde, spend a few days either there or in Douala before flying out of Douala on the 29th
-Arrive, exhausted, in the US on the 30th

I doubt I'll have internet access after I leave for Limbe, so if anything is really important call me at +237 77 49 46 79.

2 comments:

  1. You really had to go to Africa and write a 40 page paper to realize that we have super powers? Geez, you must be pretty dense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like awesome travel plans! I love your nice details like getting smoothies :) My travel plans are still "hmm...this country, that state, or maybe that one???"
    40 pages? ahhh our isps only have to be 20 - 25. But I can already tell I am going to have huge trouble limiting myself to only that much! ahh
    Have an superly amazing trip!!!!

    ReplyDelete